Monument record MDR3932 - St Lawrence's Church, Church Street, Eyam
Type and Period (2)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1100 AD to 1900 AD)
- FONT (Saxon to Medieval - 410 AD to 1200 AD)
St Helen's Church, Eyam, has a Norman font but is mainly early 14th century in date, with some 12th century work and a south aisle and tower of the 15th century. It was drastically restored in 1868 and 1882. (1) The dedication to St. Helen applies only to the chapel in the north aisle, the main church being dedicated to St. Lawrence. Medieval to early 17th century wall paintings were recently uncovered above the nave arcades and on the west wall. In addition to the Norman font which was 'tidied' by the Victorians there is a Saxon font in the north aisle brought from Brookfield Manor in the 1890's. (2-3) A grade II* listed parish church. It dates to the 13th century, the 15th century, and was partly rebuilt in 1619. The north aisle and chancel were restored by Street in 1868-9. The south aisle and porch were rebuilt by J D Webster in 1882-3. The church is built of coursed squared and coursed rubble gritstone. There is limestone rubble to the chancel. It has gritstone dressings, and a plinth. There is a concrete tile roof to the chancel, with the others being leaded. The church has stone coped gables, and ridge crosses to the east of the chancel and nave. There are plain parapets with moulded copings to the nave aisle, and embattled 15th century parapets to the clerestory. The church comprises a west tower, nave, nave aisles, chancel, north vestry and south porch. The two-stage western tower has stepped diagonal buttresses to the western corners. It has a date stone inscribed 'CW TB WC TC PT/CH 1619 15 MAR'. Attached to the south side of the tower are two stone plaques, one of 1741 erected by Thomas Sheldon. There is a clock face over. The church has a fine square stone sundial of 1775, inscribed to top 'INDUCE ANIMUM SAPIENTEM'. Also inscribed in a semi-circle around the base of the gnomon is 'Willi Lee and Thomas Froggatt. Churchwardens. Anno X 1775.' Attached to the side of a door near to the ground is a pair of 13th century gravestones incised with crosses. Inside, there are three-bay arcades to the north and south, with moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The nave roof is 15th century in date and was restored in the 20th century. The other roofs are 19th century in date. The chancel has a barrel vault and a two-bay northern arcade with a central quatrefoil pier, moulded capital and double chamfered arches. There is a 19th century trefoil headed painted wooden arcade behind the altar. There are various 19th century stained glass windows, also one of 1911 by Geoffrey Webb. The 18th century pulpit has 19th century ironwork railing to the side, probably by Street. There are 16th century murals to the clerestory walls. The stone font is probably 12th century in date, with semi-circular arcading in low relief. There is a charity plaque of 1760, and various 18th century stone wall memorials. A re-used 17th century panelled screen, with a balustraded top, is situated in the tower arch. (5) Photographic record. (8-9)
- <1> SDR1525 Article in serial: Shaw, Rev. F. L. 1914. Archaeology Journal 1914. Volume 71.
- <2> SDR6105 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 17-NOV-65.
- <3> SDR13503 Bibliographic reference: Turner, Rev. E. M.. Eyam Rectory.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80637.
- <6> SDR16909 Index: OS. SK 27 NW 44. SK 27 NW 44.
- <7> SDR16910 Index: NDAT. 0881. 0881.
- <8> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 5413.1-3.
- <9> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 479.1-4.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2177 7641 (30m by 21m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 23 2010 4:18PM