Listed Building: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS (1109352)
Please read our guidance page about heritage designations.
|Volume/Map/Item||183, 8, 19|
|Date assigned||Wednesday, September 13, 1967|
|Date last amended|
Church. Late C14 and earlier. Restored C19. Coursed squared sandstone and ashlar. Low pitched lead roof with stone coped gables. Nave and lower chancel in one. South elevation of four bays, divided by buttresses with two set-offs, Western bay with a single chamfered EE doorway with hoodmould. C19 four panelled door. In each of the three other bays, a 2-light C14 window of two cusped lancets with a quatrefoil above, the bottom of which is drawn down into an ogee. Hoodmoulds with headstops. All much restored in C19. In the third bay from the west, also a low, blocked, priests doorway with depressed round arch and hoodmould. The buttress to the right was heightened in C19 (blocking a 2-light clerestory window) and is capped by a polygonal chimney. To the nave, a C17 clerestory with two plain 2-light chamfered mullion windows. East window of c1300 with intersecting tracery of 3-lights. Hoodmould with headstops. The tracery much renewed in C19. North elevation, east to west. Angle buttress, a 2-light window as on the south side, buttress, another similar windows to the nave, a blocked square window with chamfered surround, above the stump of a buttress, another similar 2-light window and a half blocked EE doorway matching that on the south side, with a clerestory window above, as on the south side. The west window is a replacement of 1901, matching the east window, but of greater height. Bell fixed to the west wall. Restorations in 1836, 1843, chancel re-roofed in 1856, nave roof repaired in 1894 and restoration in 1901 by Hunter & Woodhouse of Belper. Interior - C19 pews with ogee traceried ends, brought from St Alkmunds, Derby in 1967. Matching pulpit. Either side of the east window, two large head corbels, early C14. Wall monuments - to the right of the east window, to Emma Harriet Scambella 1821, Signed Watson Feet, an obelisk back plate with marble pedestal and draped urn. To the left of the east window, to William Tyson, died 1843, and Lucia his wife, died 1848. Slate back plate with marble sarcophagus and coat of arms above. Signed M W Johnson, New Road, London. South wall - memorial to Thomas Archer, Commander in the Royal Navy, died 1853. By M W Johnson. A scroll over an anchor. Another to Mary, widow of Thomas Archer, died 1865. Marble sarcophagus on a slate back plate. By Patterson of Manchester. Brass wall plate to William Tomkinson, died 1901, and his wife, Mary, died 1900. By Jones & Willis Ltd. Also on the south wall an C18 painted hatchment. One stained glass window, chancel south, date of death 1901. Font, a circular bowl with bold trefoil motif and fleur de lys between, on a base of clustered filleted shafts.
External Links (1)
- View details on the National Heritage List for England (From EH UDS to Legacy x-reference)
|Grid reference||Centred SK 22343 45971 (24m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||BRADLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Jan 27 2011 11:58AM