Bradley was considered a Chapelry of Ashbourne up to the 13th century. In 1240, when the vicarage of Ashbourne was formally ordained, Bradley was one of the six chapelries the presentation to which was reserved for the Dean of Lincoln. Between 1240 and 1291 documents show that Bradley must have constituted an independent rectory and in 1310 it is mentioned as one of the Derbyshire Churches in the gift of the Dean. Of the original Norman structure nothing remains, the present building being erected during the Decorated period in the first half of the 14th century. The church consists of a nave and chancel under a single roof and the west end is a square wooden box serving as a bell turret. Cox, writing in 1877 mentions a small spire that was destroyed by lightning at the beginning of the last century, which explains the presence of the wooden bell turret. (1)
The church was recorded as being in normal use in 1966. (2)
A grade II* listed church, which dates to the late 14th century and earlier. It was restored in the 19th century. It is built of coursed squared sandstone and ashlar, and has a low pitched lead roof with stone coped gables. The nave and lower chancel are in one. The south elevation is of four bays, divided by buttresses with two set-offs. The western bay has a single chamfered EE doorway, with a hoodmould and a 19th century four-panelled door. In each of the three other bays, there is a two-light 14th century window of two cusped lancets with a quatrefoil above, the bottom of which is drawn down into an ogee. To the nave, there is a 17th century clerestory, with two plain two-light chamfered mullion windows. The east window dates to c. 1300, with tracery that was much renewed in the 19th century. Restorations were carried out in 1836 and 1843, the chancel was re-roofed in 1856, the nave roof was repaired in 1894 and further restoration work was undertaken in 1901 by Hunter & Woodhouse of Belper. Inside are 19th century pews with ogee traceried ends, brought from St Alkmunds, Derby in 1967. There is also a matching pulpit. Either side of the east window are two large head corbels dating to the early 14th century. There are a number of 19th century wall monuments. The font comprises a circular bowl, with bold trefoil motif and fleur de lys between, on a base of clustered filleted shafts. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 28-32.
Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-AUG-66.
Bibliographic reference: Post, O. 1970. The Story of All Saints Church, Bradley.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80290.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2234 4597 (24m by 17m) (Centre)
BRADLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 16 2019 3:45PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.