SK2168 SOUTH CHURCH STREET 831-1/4/170 (North side) 13/03/51 St John's Hospital and attached front wall
6 almshouses and attached front wall. Central plaque reads 'The Hospital of St John Founded 1602' but built 1709, restored C20. Coursed limestone with ashlar sandstone dressings, stone slate roof. EXTERIOR: one storey and attic, 6-window range. Symmetrical composition of 3 pairs, each with pedimented gable over windows in rhythm 2:2:2. Chamfered plinth; large quoins; chamfered, quoined door surrounds with deep lintels and reproduction studded Gothic panelled doors. Chamfered 2-light mullioned windows with iron casements and diamond-pane leaded lights. The doorways are paired beneath centre of each gable and are flanked by windows under a continuous dripmould. Ashlar stack on ridge behind each gable. Pedimented gable on left return; right end adjoins The Old Town Hall, King Street (qv). The right end almshouse door has no number the remainder are Nos 1-5 (consec) numbered from the right. INTERIOR: not inspected. Attached front wall with chamfered copings and round-headed gatepiers at central opening. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1986-: 75).
Listing NGR: SK2166268434
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.