Building record MDR3555 - St. John's Hospital (Almshouses), South Church Street, Bakewell
Type and Period (2)
St. John's Hospital, founded 1593 by Sir John Manners, and rebuilt in 1709. The Grade II listed hospital consists of six almshouses in stone in a single storey with an attic. They have six plain mullioned 2-light windows fitted with later barred casements. There are six identical gothic moulded and studded doors in chamfered recesses. There are three moulded wood gables, with stone gable ends. The roof is covered in old stone tiles. The Almshouses abut the end of the old Town Hall. (1,2). Photographic record. (4).
- <1> SDR10254 Index: NDAT. 3242. 3242.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <3> SDR6877 Bibliographic reference: Firth, J B. 1905. Highways and Byways in Derbyshire. p261.
- <4> SDR18975 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Colour photograph collection. Film. 501.11.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2166 6843 (23m by 10m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BAKEWELL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2017 12:46PM