School and school master's house, now village hall and house. 1852, built for the Earl of Harrington, with later rear additions. Red brick plus yellow brick headers in Flemish bond, with stone dressings and stone copings to brick plinth. Steeply pitched banded fishscale and plain tile roof with pierced bargeboards and an external gable stack to west with twin pots plus a side wall external brick stack to east. Single storey, three bay school to west with single bay tower to east end at junction with the house which is attached at right angles. The school has an advanced gabled centre bay with a large 3-light recessed and chamfered cross window plus dripmould and a moulded plaque with Harrington crest and dripmould above. To either side there are smaller 2-light recessed and chamfered 2-light mullion windows. To east the advanced three storey tower has a chamfered four-centred arched doorcase with incised spandrels, hoodmould and plank door to south, and a stepped buttress to west. Above it has a recessed and chamfered single light window with returned hoodmould and above again there is a moulded stone quatrefoil inscribed '1852'. West side of tower has a recessed and chamfered single light window to ground floor with similar window to the third stage and a small blocked window between in the second stage. To top the tower has a coved eaves stringcourse and embattled parapet. House to east has gable wall to main front with a 3-light recessed and chamfered mullion window with dripmould to ground floor and similar 2-light window above plus similar crested plaque over. Similar arrangement of windows to east elevation. All fenestration is lozenge pattern iron casements. Rear additions of no interest.
Listing NGR: SK4093832597
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.