Parish Church. C12, early C14, C15, early C18 and 1845. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth. Low pitched C15 lead roofs with stone coped gables. West tower, aisled nave with south porch and chancel. The west tower has angle buttresses with three set-offs and a north east stair turret, polygonal and semi-circular. The ground stage has a C14 cusped ogee lancet with hoodmould to south, a 2-light window with Y-tracery set in chamfered surround to west, and 2-light cusped Dec bell-openings to all faces. Battlements with large gargoyles and C19 circular pinnacles. Stone spire with a single tier of lucarnes. C14 roof line visible on the east face of the tower. C19 gabled south porch. The south aisle has four buttresses and two 2-light C14 windows with cusped ogee tracery, renewed in the right hand window. South aisle east window of three cusped lancet lights, like the tower west window, probably of c1300. C15 clerestory with three plain early C18 2-light mullioned windows. The south side of the chancel has three buttresses with two set-offs, and from left to right, a 3-light mullioned and transomed window with re-used C14 cusped tracery, set in a chamfered surround. Below is a renewed cusped ogee tomb recess with quatrefoil frieze on the tomb chest. Priests doorway with two moulded orders , and two 2-light cusped ogee windows in chamfered surrounds. Stringcourse beneath the window. 5-light east window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. The north side of the chancel has three buttresses and three 2-light windows, as on the south side. North aisle east window of c1300, similar to the south aisle east window. North aisle north wall rebuilt in ashlar in 1845, with two 2-light windows similar to those on the south side. Clerestory on south side. South doorway with roll and hollow mouldings and moulded imposts. The interior has a triple chamfered tower arch, the outer order dying into the imposts. Early C14 four bay arcades with circular piers, double chamfered arches, moulded polygonal capitals, and semi-circular responds. The western-most piers are broader, the two semi-circular responds with a piece of wall between, and have re-set grotesque figures. The north east respond is C12 with scalloped capital. C19 chancel arch in Early English Style. In the south wall of the chancel. early C14, stepped sedilia with cusped ogee arches and a similar piscina. Re-set C14 head corbels left and right of the east window. Small trefoil window on south side of chancel looking into the external tomb recess. Cusped piscina with fluted drain, in the south aisle. C12 tapering tub font, with bold motif of zigzag and intersecting circles. Similar to one at Somersal Herbert. Monuments: Chancel north c1839 by Hall of Derby, a marble tablet with draped urn on a slate obelisk back plate. Brass memorial tablet, chancel north, c1904 by Jones & Willis. Marble and slate tablet, chancel south, c1832 signed Hollins,Engr.Rocester. Stained glass in the east window 1904 by Hardman. Pulpit of 1750 with raised and fielded panels. Painting, in the south aisle of George IV's coat of arms, 1827. Benefaction boards in the west wall, dated 1728.
Listing NGR: SK2052833765