Listed Building: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL ASTON LOCK AND ASTON LOCK BRIDGE (1334603)
Please read our guidance page about heritage designations.
|Volume/Map/Item||1885, 4, 10|
|Date assigned||Wednesday, March 11, 1987|
|Date last amended|
SK 42 NW PARISH OF ASTON-UPON-TRENT SHARDLOW ROAD 4/10 (East Side)Aston Lock and AstonLock BridgeII Lock, gates, leat and canal bridge. 1770, by engineer James Brindley, with later rebuilding . Red brick chamber, partly rebuilt in blue brick, with stone and concrete copings, plus metal and wooden gates, and red brick bridge with stone dressings. Chamber is approximately 12 feet deep and has been largely rebuilt to west side. To either side there are small metal bollards and east side has C20 steps to centre. Both sets of gates have wooden frames with metal plates attached and metal balance beams, weighted with concrete, also with concrete semi-circles plus brick steps to either side. South gates have rack and pinion paddle mechanisms and iron handrails. Northern gates have barrel gearing. Leat runs to west side of the chamber. Bridge to north end has single segmental brick arch on tapering stone and blue brick jambs. North side has stone keyblock inscribed 'JB 1770'. Plain parapets over have chamfered stone copings and the walls curve outwards to each end, finishing in square piers. South side of bridge has small C20 metal bridge attached. Built as part of the Trent and Mersey Canal. Listing NGR: SK4246029181.
External Links (1)
- View details on the National Heritage List for England (From EH UDS to Legacy x-reference)
- SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1334603.
|Grid reference||SK 42460 29181 (point)|
|Civil Parish||ASTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2020 4:56PM