SK 18 SE PARISH OF CASTLETON BACK STREET 7/18 (West Side) 21.4.67 Church of St Edmund GV II*
Church. Early C12, C14 and early C19. Rubble limestone and gritstone ashlar with gritstone dressings. Lead roofs hidden behind parapets. West tower, nave, south porch, chancel and north vestry. C14 west tower of three stages with diagonal buttresses with set-offs. 3-light west window with four centred arch. Lancet bell openings. Battlements and eight pinnacles. Four bay nave divided by buttresses with two set-offs. Windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Moulded parapet with pinnacles. Rainwater heads dated 1831 when the medieval aisles were demolished. South porch also of 1831 with steep castellated gable with pinnacles. Chamfered, pointed arched opening. Studded door. Two bay chancel with 2-light windows with plate tracery. Castellated parapet with pinnacles. Vestry attached to the north with C18 wooden Y-tracery. Interior - Norman chancel arch renewed in C19. One order of colonnettes with block capitals. Zigzag decoration to the arch. Double chamfered tower arch. Box pews inscribed with dates 1661, 1662, 1663, 1676, 1703, 1712, 1716, 1720 and 1722, and with five three-branched brass oil lamps with engraved glass globes. Nave roof with re-used C16 timbers. Plain octagonal font. Stained glass in chancel south east window, 1911 by Kempe. Other unattributed windows. Three memorials on north wall dated 1725, 1804 and 1863. The last by Patteson of Manchester.
Listing NGR: SK1502882901