SK 17 SW PARISH OF WORMHILL 5/56
21.04.1967 St Margaret's Church II*
Church. Rebuilding and enlargement in 1864 of C13 chapel by T H Rushforth with transepts added in 1904-10. Coursed rubble limestone with gritstone dressings and some tufa to tower. Coped gables to slate roofs laid to diminishing courses. West tower, south porch, nave, chancel with north and south transepts and sanctuary. Square, unbuttressed tower partially C13, has single light openings with trefoils beneath flat hoods to first, third and fourth stages. Tower west wall has C13 pointed arched window with trefoil head Tower with 'helm' roof in the manner of Sompting in Sussex with decorative banded slating. South porch doorway with pointed arch, coped gable and slated roof. Three-bay nave with buttressed east end, and 2-light openings with trefoil heads beneath depressed arches. Transepts are single bay with trefoil headed lancets, and 2-light gable windows with dec style tracery beneath hoodmoulds with carved tops. East window of 3-lights, also dec style, with hoodmould and carved stops. Interior not inspected.
Listing NGR: SK1245574182