Building record MDR1897 - St Margaret's Church, Wormhill
Type and Period (3)
[SK 12447418] St. Margaret's Church. (1) St. Margaret's Church, Wormhill, was rebuilt in 1864. Over the door of the porch was inscribed "P.H…C.W. 1746". The tower was probably erected in 1273, but it was raised in 1863. (2). In normal use. (3) Grade II* listed church. The 13th century chapel underwent rebuilding and enlargement in 1864 by T H Rushforth with transepts added in 1904-10. It is constructed of coursed rubble limestone with gritstone dressings and some tufa to tower. Coped gables to slate roofs laid to diminishing courses. Square, unbuttressed tower partially 13th century. [See listed buildings record for complete description]. (4)
- <1> SDR11764 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. p311.
- <3> SDR6065 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 08-DEC-65.
- <4> SDR5545 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Boro of High Peak, Derbyshire, June 1984, 6.
- <5> SDR14207 Index: NDAT. 2578. 2578.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15682.1-3.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1244 7418 (24m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2008 1:48PM