Marked on OS map as Union Club. Club house, now public house. 1886. Coursed rock-faced millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Lakeland slate roof with ornate terracotta ridge tiles, square louvred vent and stone stacks. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Chamfered plinth, moulded first-floor band, sill band and moulded eaves. Water Street front has irregular 7-window front. Slightly projecting 2-storey wing to centre has coped gable with band, kneelers and cross finial, to right doorway with double panel doors and overlight and to left 3-light cross casement, both openings segment headed with Tudor hoodmoulds. To left 2 pairs of plain sashes in similar surrounds. To right a single plain sash in similar surround then 2-storey canted bay window with 4 plain sashes in similar surrounds topped with battlements. Above to left gable wing has 2 pairs of plain sashes, and to left again 4 plain sashes. St John's Street front, single storey plus attic, has gabled projection to left with central pointed arch doorway with moulded surround flanked by single windows in similar surrounds. Above chamfered band and pair of plain sashes in moulded, pointed arch surrounds and a blind quatrefoil above. The gable has coping, kneelers and cross finial. To left plain sash and above gabled dormer window. To right off-centre doorway in moulded surround with pair of plain sashes to left and single plain sash to right, above another gabled dormer window.
INTERIOR: though refurbished retains good quality original bars and fittings, including stained glass and fireplaces with ornate mirror overmantels.
Listing NGR: SK0565573527