Listed Building: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST (1258025)

Please read our .

Grade II*
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 616-1, 3, 69
Date assigned Thursday, January 25, 1951
Date last amended

Description

Church. 1802-1811 with portico infilled to form chancel in 1896. Designed by John White. Ashlar gritstone, with ashlar dressings, slate roof with stone stacks. STYLE: Neo-Classical. PLAN: cruciform. EXTERIOR: plinth, rusticated quoins and moulded eaves band and cornice. West front has 4 giant Doric pilasters topped by a broad pediment, with central doorway in moulded ashlar surround with hood and double panel doors with overlight divided into 5 round headed lights. Either side single windows with glazing bars, and above 3 circular windows. Tower rises from above western pediment on square base with cupola above, this has 4 round arches with panelled pilasters between and balusters between. Above octagonal panel stage with ball finials and copper octagonal dome with finial. South front has projecting centre topped with pediment and a single round headed window in moulded surround. Either side single similar round headed windows in moulded surrounds, and beyond set back ashlar sections with giant pilasters and moulded door surrounds with hoods, that to left blind, that to right with double panel doors. North front similar to south front. East front has former portico with giant square corner columns and circular columns in antis, now in-filled. Central round arched Venetian window with full overlight flanked by blind round headed windows with narrow slit windows all linked by a sill band, and below each of the outer windows a segment headed window. Whole front topped by broad pediment with panel inscribed MDCCCXI. INTERIOR: plain with pilastered walls, coved plaster ceiling. No aisles but shallow transepts. Baptistery 1876. West gallery with wooden supporting columns added 1911. Chancel with decorative mosaics and "opus sectile" side panels to altar, 1902. FITTINGS: include pulpit of 1867 designed by Henry Currey. Font 1875. Reredos 1896-7. The carved choir and clergy stalls incorporate rams heads as wrought-iron brackets. Organ by W Hill 1897. STAINED GLASS: 2 windows to the North side are by CE Kempe 1897-1903. Also one window to the South side (1920) and the East window are reputed to be by Kempe and Co. There are 3 memorial tablets to the Duke of Devonshire's agents. The north-west window is reputed to be original. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 115; Leach John: The Book Of Buxton: Leicester: 1987-). Listing NGR: SK0561773550

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 05617 73550 (point)
Map sheet SK07SE
Civil Parish BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Jul 1 2015 2:58PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.