The Grade II listed St John the Baptist Church on St Johns Road, Buxton was constructed of ashlar gritstone, with ashlar dressings, slate roof with stone stacks. It was designed by John White and built between 1802-1811 with the portico of heavy Tuscan columns infilled to form a chancel in 1896. The west elevation had Tuscan pilasters and above the pediment, a tower raising to a domed top. The detail of the tower is remarkably free, and the domed top has no parallel in the normal neo-classical church types of 1896-7. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 115.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0561 7355 (43m by 32m)
BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 10:54AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.