Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 921-1, 10, 31
Date assigned Monday, May 22, 2000
Date last amended


Concert hall and public library. 1887. Coursed rock-faced millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and kneelers. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: cruciform plan, the main range containing library to ground and hall to first floor, with entrances in east and west wings that to east with bell tower. EXTERIOR: 2 Storeys. Chamfered plinth and chamfered sill bands. Square east bell tower has steps and ramp to 4-centred arch doorway in moulded ashlar surround with double panel doors andmoverlight, flanked by single dated foundation stones, above 2 single light windows and rectangular plaque with coat-of-arms inscribed:- 'Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough/ Virtus, Veritas et Libertas.' Above again single pointed arch bell opening to each face with tracery and louvres. Topped quatrefoil parapet, projecting corner pinnacles with ball finials and square spire withmfinial and lucarnes. Main north front has 5 window canted apsidal end with 4 window sides, divided by single storey pilasters topped with ball finials. Blind quatrefoil panels between floors, topped with blind arcaded and coped parapet. Side windows single light, apsidal windows paired in chamfered surrounds with dividing mullion. Central bay topped by pedimented gable with ball finial and escutcheon inscribed:- 'Public Library Glossop'. To west entrance to Victoria Hall similar to east entrance with 2 similar windows above topped with gable. Remaining elevations with similar detailing, basement level apparent to rear south facade. INTERIOR: has main entrance hall with glazed tiles bearing heraldic motif and inscription. Tower contains staircase to first floor hall. Opposing entrance from west with wooden staircase. Ground floor library retains moulded architraves to panelled doors and engaged pilasters support encased wide beams. Plastered and painted. Built to commemorated Queen Victoria's Jubilee, donated by H Rhodes and Capt Partington, foundation stones laid 30 July 1887.

External Links (1)

Sources (0)



Grid reference SK 03412 94423 (point)
Map sheet SK09SW

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Apr 18 2016 2:36PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.