Listed Building: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST CHARLES BORROMEO AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY (1384309)

Please read our .

Grade II
Authority Historic England
Volume/Map/Item 921-1, 4, 50
Date assigned Monday, May 22, 2000
Date last amended

Description

Roman Catholic church and attached presbytery. 1858, by JG Weightman, ME Hadfield and George Goldie, Lady chapel added 1888, alterations 1918-22 and north chancel chapel added 1940. MATERIALS: coursed rock-faced millstone grit with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with coped gables, kneelers and cross finials. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: south-west tower, nave with north and south aisles and north porch, chancel with north and south chapels. Presbytery attached to south-east. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth. Tower with double chamfered plinth has polygonal south-west stair turret, 3 stages with to south 2 round windows and above paired lancets in single pointed arch opening, to west moulded pointed arch doorway with plank door and elaborate iron hinges, above small lancet. Third stage has single 2-light pointed arch bell openings to each face, topped with ashlar parapet. West front of nave has 2 small lancets and above 2 tall lancets with between carved figure under gabled canopy, above circular window with trefoil tracery. Aisle has double lancet in single pointed arch surround. North front has off-centre gabled porch with pointed arch doorway and double plank doors with iron hinges. Single window to right and 4 windows to left all double lancets in pointed arch surrounds. Above 6 circular clerestory windows. South front has 3 double lancets, gabled confessional and then single triple lancet, above 6 circular clerestory windows. East apsidal chancel has 2 circular clerestory windows to each side and 3 tall lancets to east. Presbytery attached to south-east by covered walkway. The presbytery a double-gabled building with wing, clustered stacks and porch, the windows with mullions and transoms. INTERIOR: church plastered. 5 bay nave arcades with round piers and cushion capitals with simple bases. Large chamfered chancel arch. Nave roof with paired rafters with alternate arched braces resting on carved stone corbels. Chancel roof ceiled. FITTINGS: include large freestone and marble reredos with niches containing carved figures under crocketed and pinnacled canopies and gilt angels to extreme left and right. Stone altar with marble columns and carved angels flanking the crown of thorns. Stone polygonal pulpit with carved scenes, on marble shafts, 1894. Stone font on pedestal with claws. Many of the wooden fittings date from the 1930s and 1950s. STAINED GLASS: includes south aisle windows by Mayer & Co of Munich.

External Links (1)

Sources (0)

Map

Location

Grid reference SK 01612 96195 (point)
Map sheet SK09NW
Civil Parish GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Mar 19 2010 5:02PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.