A Roman Catholic church and attached presbytery that was built in 1858 by J G Weightman, M E Hadfield and George Goldie. The Lady chapel was added in 1888. There were further alterations in 1918-22 and the north chancel chapel was added in 1940. It is built of coursed rock-faced millstone grit with ashlar dressings, and has Welsh slate roofs with coped gables, kneelers and cross finials. It was built in Gothic Revival style. Inside, the church is plastered. It has five-bay nave arcades, with round piers and cushion capitals with simple bases. There is a large chamfered chancel arch. The nave roof has paired rafters, with alternate arched braces resting on carve stone corbels. The chancel roof is ceiled. Fittings include a large freestone and marble reredos, with niches containing carved figures under crocketed and pinnacled canopies, and gilt angels to the extreme left and right. There is also a stone altar with marble columns and carved angels flanking the crown of thorns. There is a stone polygonal pulpit with carved scenes, on marble shafts, which dates to 1894. A stone font stands on a pedestal with claws. Many of the wooden fittings date from the 1930s and 1950s. Stained glass within the church includes the south aisle windows by Mayer & Co of Munich. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 484743.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0161 9618 (47m by 37m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.