Scheduled Monument: COW LOW BOWL BARROW (1008998)

Please read our .

Authority English Heritage
Other Ref SM Cat. No. 131
Date assigned Tuesday, September 21, 1954
Date last amended Monday, January 4, 1993

Description

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION Bowl barrows, the most numerous form of round barrow, are funerary monuments dating from the Late Neolithic period to the Late Bronze Age, with most examples belonging to the period 2400-1500 BC. They were constructed as earthen or rubble mounds, sometimes ditched, which covered single or multiple burials. They occur either in isolation or grouped as cemeteries and often acted as a focus for burials in later periods. Often superficially similar, although differing widely in size, they exhibit regional variations in form and a diversity of burial practices. There are over 10,000 surviving bowl barrows recorded nationally (many more have already been destroyed), occurring across most of lowland Britain. Often occupying prominent locations, they are a major historic element in the modern landscape and their considerable variation of form and longevity as a monument type provide important information on the diversity of beliefs and social organisations amongst early prehistoric communities. They are particularly representative of their period and a substantial proportion of surviving examples are considered worthy of protection. Although partially disturbed by stone-robbing, Cow Low bowl barrow is a reasonably well preserved example containing significant intact archaeological deposits. DETAILS Cow Low bowl barrow is a sub-circular cairn situated on the eastern edge of Combs Moss in a hilltop location in the western gritstone moorlands of Derbyshire. The monument includes a mound measuring 23m by 20m which survives to a height of c.0.6m. Originally the mound would have been somewhat higher, but the surface of the cairn has been disturbed in the past by stone robbing; probably for walling at the time of the Enclosures Acts. The barrow may also have been partially excavated by Thomas Bateman in the mid-nineteenth century when a barrow near Buxton, known as Cow Low, was found to contain a hexagonal cist containing two skeletons and a food vessel. In addition to these remains, the overall appearance and location of the barrow and its proximity to other monuments of the period, indicate that it dates to the Bronze Age. SELECTED SOURCES Book Reference - Author: Barnatt, J - Title: The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989) - Date: 1989 - Type: DESC TEXT Book Reference - Author: Barnatt, J - Title: The Peak District Barrow Survey (1989) - Date: 1989 - Type: PLAN: MEASURED Book Reference - Author: Bateman, T. - Title: Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire - Date: 1848 - Page References: 93 - Type: DESC TEXT Book Reference - Author: Marsden B - Title: The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (1977) - Date: 1977 - Page References: 27 - Type: DESC TEXT Article Reference - Author: Manby T G - Title: Food Vessels of the Peak District (1957) - Date: 1957 - Journal Title: Derbyshire Archaeological Journal - Volume: 77 - Page References: 1-29 - Type: DESC TEXT

External Links (0)

Sources (1)

  • Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1954. Scheduling Notification: 1008998. List entry no. 1008998. SM Cat. No. 131.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0653 7866 (17m by 18m)
Map sheet SK07NE
Civil Parish CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Record last edited

Aug 14 2013 10:08AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.