Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR10089 - Callow Hall, off Mapleton Road, Mapleton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Callow Hall, off Mapleton Road, Mapleton, built in 1848. 'Callow Hall. A large hall in woodlands at the south end of Mapleton village. Private dwelling house of considerable beauty.' (1) 'In 1848 the Derby architect Henry Isaac Stevens designed an ambitious Jacobethan house to go on a moiety of a former estate which lay between Ashbourne and Mapleton. The client was John Goodwin Johnson, whose like-named father (died 1838) had been an opulent Ashbourne attorney who had adopted the surname of a Wirksworth heiress. He married a daughter of Francis Beresford of Ashbourne, which had added to the estate upon which there appears to have been a previous house called the Callow. Callow Hall was not built exactly to Stevens' original design; for example a planned largish tower was reduced in scale, a bowed window became an oriel and an ornate conservatory vanished entirely. The Hall is built of rough-rocked ashlar of carboniferous limestone with dressings and porch of Keuper sandstone and has a slate roof. It belonged to a succession of owners before being sold in November 1982 to a buyer who opened it as a hotel and restaurant, with self-catering units and fishing. The cellars were apparently used to store War Department archives during World War Two, and a TV series called The Mallens was filmed there in the 1980s.' (2) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 14 NE PARISH OF MAPLETON ASHBOURNE ROAD 7/43 (North Side) Callow Hall GV II House. 1848-52 by Henry Stevens of Derby. Coursed squared rock-faced limestone with gritstone dressings. Slate roofs and stone coped gables with kneelers. Stone ridge stacks and gable end stacks, with cornices. Two storeys, chamfered plinth, first floor string band, quoins and moulded eaves cornice. L-plan. Elizabethan style. Main, south west range. East front asymmetrical with three gables, the right hand one larger than the others. Heavy central porch, open on three sides with moulded round arches. Rusticated angles, cornice and openwork parapet, the angle piers with banded ball finials. Large C19 half glazed door. On the left, a 2-light ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed window and on the right similar 3-light and 2-light windows. On the first floor beneath gables, two 2-light and a 3-light mullioned and transomed window with dripmoulds. To the right, a smaller 2-light mullioned and transomed window set lower down. Symmetrical south elevation of three bays beneath three gables, the centre one smaller and lower. Centre bay projects, with four narrow slit windows to the ground floor and a large bay window above breaking into an oriel. Parapet with quatrefoil frieze. Flanking bays with a 3-light mullioned and transomed window to each floor. An oval light to each gable. West elevation has 2,3, 4 and 5-light mullioned and transomed windows and a canted bay. Simpler one and a half storey north east service wing with a 4-light mullioned window with two transoms. In the angle between the two wings, a belltower with round-arched opening to each face and a concave pyramidal roof. The house was designed on a much more ambitious scale but was reduced in size before building commenced. Listing NGR: SK1696347064.' (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(g).1, with photo.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. 53-54.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 16963 47064 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (1)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 3 2023 6:12PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.