A mill is shown at this site on Greenwood's map of 1825 although it is not on Burdett's map of 1767. A sale notice, dated Friday January 20 1826 offers 'a well accustomed water corn mill, adjoining the road from Codnor to Heanor'. It describes the water supply as coming from the mill dam '2 acres and 27 perches in area' and follows with the sizes of three smaller dams, in total less than 2 acres. The name of the mill, or its lifespan as a water mill, is not known. It appears to have been worked at a later date by steam. A John James Wooley, who died in 1877, inherited the Loscoe Estates, including the corn steam mill. Several letters dating from 1910 onwards have been identified between the Butterley Company and James John Arther Wooley, a local land owner. They relate to the use of adjacent land by Butterley for development as a coal mine. Butterley were to pay £20 per annum for use of the land or, in lieu, by supplying coal 'for use of the engine when it is operational'. In 1919 Wooley tried to sell the mill to Butterley for £400 but this was refused. Eventually, in 1926, a deal was reached for £350. The mill buildings were demolished soon afterwards. (1)
Late 19th century OS maps show a series of dams known as the Egreaves Ponds lying to the west of the corn mill which may be the additional dams referred to above. They also show earthworks indicating a leat. (2, 3)
The Egreaves Ponds comprise three ponds, one of which still contains water, but the others are overgrown. They formerly powered 18th century corn mills that formerly stood on the site of Loscoe Colliery [SMR 20516]. The former existence of the mills is perpetuated in the name of the nearby Mill Farm. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. pp. 84-85.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.4.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.4; 1900.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2011. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: A Gazetteer of Sites, Part III, Borough of Amber Valley (second edition). p. 6.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 42119 47316 (607m by 308m) (Approximate)
HEANOR AND LOSCOE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 6 2014 10:56AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.