Monument record MDR10159 - Whittington Moor Pottery (site of), Whittington
Type and Period (1)
- POTTERY WORKS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A pottery was present in this area by c. 1880 as shown on the 1st and 2nd ed. 25" OS maps. (1, 2) The first notice of Whittington Moor Pottery is in the Derby Mercury of 18 October 1820: "Sale of Pancheon Pottery Whittington Moor, late in the occupation of John White, situated within ½ mile of the Chesterfield Canal, near to the Sheffield turnpike. £700 remains on security for a number of years from Mr Gosling, Chesterfield." Nothing more is known until 1876 when the potter was Samuel Lancaster. In the 20th century, J Bradshaw and J Bradshaw & Son were there. The pottery closed in 1957-8 and was in Queen Street, off the Sheffield Road. Wares consisted of coarse ware pottery, pancheons and garden pots, made of local red clay and sometimes glazed inside with a black glaze. (3)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XVIII.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XVIII.14, 1898.
- <3> SDR19408 Article in serial: Brown, R. 1994. 'Potteries of Derbyshire', Journal of the Northern Ceramic Society. Vol. 11, pp 95-153. p 113.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 38393 73671 (72m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 27 2017 3:04PM