In the corner of a field to the north of Hill Head [which is at SK 074697], four hundred flints were collected by Micah Salt (prior to 1900). Only two showed definite signs of trimming, and about 20 were cores. Several of the pieces appeared to be unfinished arrow-heads. Fragments of 'rude wheel-turned' pottery were also found. (1). The flints have been assigned to the Neolithic/Bronze Age; the pottery to the Romano-British period. (2).
Several artefacts in Buxton Museum are labelled as coming from Hillhead, one being specifically described as found north-east of Hillhead Farm. They include a whetstone of fine gritstone, a flint knife, a large pointed flint flake and a stone disc, probably shale and turned on a lathe. They were found in or before 1977. (3)
Article in serial: Ward, J. 1900. 'On Mr Salt's diggings around Buxton', Journal of the British Archaeological Association. Volume 6. p 224.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 075 698 (point) (Centre)
HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 7 2014 3:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.