Monument record MDR10337 - Artefact scatter south-east of Borough Fields Farm, Walton-on-Trent
Type and Period (4)
- FLINT SCATTER (Late Neolithic to Early Bronze Age - 3000 BC to 1501 BC)
- FLINT SCATTER (Late Mesolithic - 7000 BC to 4001 BC)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Roman - 43 AD to 350 AD)
- ARTEFACT SCATTER (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Material found during field walking in 1997 in advance of a pipeline included a scraper, a core and a flake with miscellaneous retouch, all of Late Neolithic/Bronze Age date, and an oxidised grey ware sherd from the base of a jar or flagon, of possible 2nd to 4th century date. A post-medieval or modern sherd was also collected. (1) This field was also subject to a field-walking and metal detector survey in 2013/14: * A small scatter of early late Mesolithic flint was recovered from the southern half of the field. Mostly projectile points and a few scrapers. This scatter appears to spread in to the neighbouring field to the east (SK 22498 15862). * A small scatter of mostly mid 1st - early 4th century AD Roman pottery. Metal detecting produced fragments of Roman brooches dating from the 1st to the late 2nd century AD. One possible Roman sestertius of 2nd century date, and a copper alloy House of Constantine coin were also recovered. A group of possible lead slingshot was recovered within a 10m radius at SK 22123 16012. * A small scatter of 13th-14th century medieval sandy ware sherds representing jars and bowls. * A small number of mid to late 16th century sherds were recovered. A late medieval lead ampulla, crudely made with a faint petal decoration, was found in the southern half of the field. * A background scatter of mid 17th - late 19th century pottery, mostly domestic Ticknall pancheon ware with some stone glazed and cream ware vessels represented. * A large scatter of early 20th century pottery wasters and unglazed domestic vessels was observed across the field. (2)
- <1> SDR19113 Unpublished document: Network Archaeology Ltd.. 1997. Drakelow Power Station, Proposed Gas Pipeline. Archaeological Fieldwalking, Field Reonnaissance and Geophysical Survey. Find nos 258, 259, 260, 208, 2.
- <2> SDR23091 Unpublished document: Saunders, P. 2014. Catton Hall Estate: PAS and HER Summary, Witan Archaeology Survey, 2013-2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 22241 15961 (338m by 330m)|
|Civil Parish||WALTON UPON TRENT, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2015 12:37PM