Monument record MDR10611 - Probable site of pottery, Marsh View, Eckington
Type and Period (1)
- POTTERY WORKS (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD? to 1800 AD?)
- None recorded
Two potteries are recorded in Eckington in 1789, although the precise location of these is not given. (1) One of these was presumably the pottery given as being at Eckington 'on the Marsh, formerly' in a list of potteries of earthen or stoneware. (2) The industry may have been relatively short-lived, therefore, its only trace being the 'Pot Houses' shown on OS maps until recently. The exact type and range of material produced is not known, although it has been described as 'brown pottery'. (3) No wares are known. (4)
- <1> SDR13082 Bibliographic reference: Pilkington, J. 1789. A View of the Present State of Derbyshire, Volume 2.
- <2> SDR6682 Bibliographic reference: Farey, J. 1811. A General View of the Agriculture and Minerals of Derbyshire, Vol. 1. p 449.
- <3> SDR19717 Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1999. Extensive Urban Survey: Eckington. Archaeological Assessment Report.. p 8; Component 22, p 16.
- <4> SDR19408 Article in serial: Brown, R. 1994. 'Potteries of Derbyshire', Journal of the Northern Ceramic Society. Vol. 11, pp 95-153. Site 15, p 109.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 41550 78892 (54m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 20 2017 4:01PM