Kings Newton House was built in the first half of the 17th century, and substantially enlarged and modernised in the early 19th century. Across the yard from the kitchen was the dairy, with 18th century cheese-making apparatus, so at that time a farmyard with cowsheds for milking is to be expected, but all that is left of the early farmyard seems to be one stone wall of the barn, with blocked vents, which marks the property boundary at the north-east end. The remaining outbuildings run south and east of the house, and are built onto the stone wall that bounds Jawbone Lane. Running north to south, they consisted of a coach house, pigsties, stable and grain barn, and sheds. Joseph Cantrell, who owned the property from 1794 to 1836, almost certainly enlarged and modernised the house and then pulled down the old farm buildings and built the stable yard. A new coachhouse was built outside the stable yard in the mid 19th century. (1)
The existing outbuildings are early 19th century with later alterations, built from red brick on a stone plinth with a plain tile roof with one brick ridge stack and a dentilled eaves band. They are two storeys high with seven bays, including a tall gabled central bay. There is a central depressed segmental arch with double plank doors and a tall pigeon loft above with a dentilled pediment and a small circular opening. To the south there is a three bay barn with a central full height opening, now partly filled in with corrugated iron, and a segment headed window to the north with a shuttered hayloft opening above, plus a line of breathers. To the north of the central doors are the stables with a segment headed doorcase plus plank door flanked by diamond paned 2-light windows, to the south is a semi-circular headed doorcase and there are two segment headed doorcases with plank doors to the north. Above there are two shuttered hayloft openings to the south and a 20th century window to the north. Attached to south of the barn there are two cowsheds of no interest and a rubble stone wall with two rusticated gate piers to the south end. The interior of the barn has two king post roof trusses and the interior of pigeon loft has all the brick pigeon holes intact. (2)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 47, 4th August 1989.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1204758.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 39063 26173 (26m by 88m)
MELBOURNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 6 2017 10:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.