Brook farm stands in the middle of the village, on the east side of the street. To the north of the house is the yard entry, bounded on its north side by the dovecote which stands at the west end of a range of cowsheds. The western cowshed has "F B 1897" cut into the east jamb of the door; the eastern cowshed is quite modern. Behind the farmhouse and joined onto it is a range of buildings enclosing the yard on the south side. There is first a single-storey dairy, part of the house, then a two-storey building with outside access to the upper floor, and after that a stable. Beyond the stable and closing the east side of the yard is the barn which has three bays with a central threshing floor. All the buildings are brick and tile. Near the north end of the front wall of the house is a dated brick inscribed "I B 1766", and this date accords with the likely building date for the house. The barn would have been the next building erected, followed by the two-storey building on the south side of the yard, and then the other buildings. The present dairy was added to the house as a working kitchen. The farmstead, which belongs to the Church Commissioners, is to be sold for conversion to housing, and a new house and farm buildings erected at the north end of the village to work the same land. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 96, 31st October 1991.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 32088 26535 (92m by 80m)
REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 22 2020 2:11PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.