This is a two-storey brick house of three bays fronting the road, with a long lower two-storey range running north behind it. The ground level rises considerably from south to north, and there is a track to the east of the house leading about 400 metres north to a 19th century brickyard. A small privy and ashpit stands close to the north end of the house and at the far end of the garden is a small brick two-storey building, now ruinous; the ground level around it has been built up by about 90cm, perhaps with excavate from the brickearth pits. Limekiln House takes its name from a kiln behind the house that has now disappeared. It is shown on the map of 1799, and there were other limekilns in different ownership on the other side of the road. The rear, north-south, part of the building is earlier than the front and was built in several stages. The front is probably a rebuild of an earlier house, perhaps about 1830-40. The southern end was probably always domestic, but the northern part may represent cowsheds and dairy, the whole constituting a small farm for cheese production. When an upper storey was added the use appears to have changed to something industrial. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 161, August 1994.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35936 24067 (11m by 29m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:11PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.