Hanson Grange, Newton Grange. Partially extant 17th century farmstead. The farmstead is formed of a regular courtyard of L-plan with additional detached elements to the main plan and three sides of the yard formed of agricultural buildings. The farmhouse is set away from the yard. The site is in an isolated location. Large modern sheds are located to the side of the site, suggesting it may remain in agricultural use. There has been a partial loss (less than 50%) of traditional buildings. (1) (2) (3) (4)
There is little left today of medival granges, either in remains or documentary references, although the word 'grange' is common on maps of Derbyshire. Generally, although not exclusively, the name is attached to a farmhouse. The front of Hanson Grange is early 19th century but the south wall is a patchwork of earlier work including 16th to 17th century mullioned and transomed windows. In the basement are arch light windows which might indicate an earlier date which corresponds to the grange of Burton Abbey which previously existed on the site. (5,6)
Hanson Grange was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, inferring that it was constructed c.996. It was a Grange of Burton Abbey which was dissolved in 1538. There are extensive earthworks [SMR 10617] to the north-west and south of the present farm. (7.8).
Digital data: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Digital Dataset.
Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Character Statements.
Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Project Report.
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 57.
Unpublished document: Historic England. 2016. Peak District National Park Historic Farmsteads Project: Design Guidance.
Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p 155.
Bibliographic reference: Firth, J B. 1905. Highways and Byways in Derbyshire.
Article in serial: Allen, J W. 1956. 'Granges', The Derbyshire Countryside. Vol. 21 (6), pp 24-25.
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 2219.
Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1476 5387 (184m by 271m) (Approximate)
NEWTON GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2016 3:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.