Building record MDR10818 - Chequers Inn, High Street, Ticknall
Type and Period (5)
- HOUSE (Stuart - 1640 AD? to 1660 AD?)
- INN (Georgian to 21st Century - 1750 AD? to 2050 AD)
- ABATTOIR (Former Type) (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1900 AD? to 1920 AD?)
- BUTCHERS SHOP (Former Type) (Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1900 AD? to 1920 AD?)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Unknown date)
This two-storey stone house faces west onto the High Street immediately south of Sheffield House (SMR27181) and was occupied by a member of the same family in 1840-60. It is one of 10 inns listed for Ticknall in 1753. There is a yard entry on the south side of the house and in the yard a range of outbuildings along the south side, facing the rear wing of the house along the north side. It is a large two-cell, central chimney house, built in stone in the mid 17th century, with timber gable ends. In the mid 18th century the walls were raised in front in brick, the gables bricked, and the front half of the roof rebuilt. The impressive front cornice was added and the whole rendered in stucco, which is how it remained until a short time ago. Subsequently the rear wing was extended to form a long range, which was rebuilt probably between 1918 and 1939. The eastern stable was built about 1822. The western stables were built in the 1870s to 1880s to replace an earlier timber-framed building; they were converted to a slaughterhouse and the shop was added during the period 1900-1920. The house was owned by the Harpur Crewe Estate from 1877 until 1986.
- <1> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 175, 22nd November 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35033 23725 (49m by 33m)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2011 2:15PM