Building record MDR10823 - Former General Baptist Chapel, Main Street, Ticknall
Type and Period (2)
- BARN ? (Tudor to Georgian - 1540 AD to 1795 AD)
- GENERAL BAPTIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1795 AD to 1817 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1) The Baptists have a place of worship in Ticknall. It is a plain brick building. (2) A Baptist meeting-house was built in Ticknall in 1795. It was registered in 1803 and described as a 'new building standing in Bucknall's Yard on the south side of the street'. It was 'enlarged' in 1817. The present chapel, which appears to be a rebuilding of c. 1817, has walls of red brick, with some rubble in the south and east walls. It has a hipped tiled roof. The west front has a wide round-arched window between two smaller, but similarly-arched windows, and a doorway to the left. The pulpit is at the south end, with a gallery opposite. (3) Survey by R Hammerton during the early stages of the building's conversion to a dwelling. It has been recorded that an existing barn was converted for use as the Chapel in 1795, and the stonework forming the bases of the north and west elevations would appear to be that from that barn. The building was enlarged in the 19th century, but closed in 1989. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 830.
- <3> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 56.
- <4> SDR19784 Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 179, 21st December 1994.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35337 23932 (11m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2011 4:40PM