The yard of outbuildings stands on rising ground behind the house to the north, and includes stables, trap house, tack room, cowsheds, hayloft, dairy, piggery and other buildings. They were left undamaged by a fire in 1938, after which the house was rebuilt. The garden to the west side of the house contains a stone-lined well, and a large trough hollowed out of a block of millstone grit. A large number of building stones are re-used in the garden walls, rockeries etc., and it is suggested that they may have been brought from Dale Abbey. The iron gates at the main entrance from the east, with gateposts and side screens to match, are 19th century work, very fine, framed in wrought iron with cast iron plaques to embellish junctions. (1)
Unpublished document: Hutton, B. Derby Buildings Record. DBR 253, 17th April 2001.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 45712 35870 (115m by 74m)
RISLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 4 2015 3:06PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.