A large dump of pottery was found at 38 High Street, Ticknall, when the owner dug out a pit for car maintenance under the garage many years ago. The site can be identified with one of the earliest known Ticknall potters, William Hanbury, who was working in the 1520s. A survey of 1569 described the property as 'One messuage one barne, one lyttell courte, one gardyn & one orchard wythe ii fyshepondes…' and gives its size as one acre. 16th century documents suggest that William Hanbury was relatively prosperous as he had to provide a decent horse, its tack and his own armour in the muster of 1538-9. The description of the site, together with the ponds and pot dump, suggests that the site was Spring Cottage and the area down to 34 High Street, which could well have been a single property in the 1500s. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Spavold, J & Brown, S. 2005. Ticknall Pots and Potters. Site 7; pp 43-44.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34958 23626 (93m by 100m)
TICKNALL, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 22 2011 10:45AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.