Monument record MDR1094 - Barrow, garden of Newton Grange farm, Newton Grange
Type and Period (2)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- MOUND (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
(Area SK 165535). A previously opened barrow, fifteen yards in diameter and four feet high, of earth mixed with chert, in the garden at Newton Grange. It was excavated on the 15th July 1851 but only charcoal, calcined bone and flint chippings were found. (1). There is no knowledge, or local evidence of a barrow immediately adjacent to Newton Grange farmhouse. The owner believes that Bateman is referring to the barrow at SK 16475329 [SMR 10603]. (2). Barnatt examined the present garden at Newton Grange in 1988 but found no evidence of the mound. Carrington's excavations cut a trench 3.7 metres by 2.7 metres probably in the centre of the mound. He found charcoal and a few flint flakes and at the natural, burnt bone, a piece of coal and an iron nail. Barnatt suggests that if the flints are residual, the mound may be a medieval structure associated with the grange. (7). The precise location of this barrow is unknown as it has probably been destroyed or lost. The approximate region of the barrow according to documentary evidence has been plotted in the garden of Newton Grange Farm. (8).
- <1> SDR16985 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 178.
- <2> SDR6308 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 11-NOV-66.
- <4> SDR9854 Index: NDAT. 1589. 1589?. 1589?.
- <5> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 79.
- <6> SDR8270 Unpublished document: Lewis, G (University of Liverpool). 1970. The Bronze Age in the Southern Pennines. p 488.
- <7> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 9:28.
- <8> SDR20034 Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 164 535 (36m by 41m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||NEWTON GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2015 4:51PM