Monument record MDR10967 - Elevated Braking Drum House (site of), Top O' The' Plane Complex, Peak Forest Tramway, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (2)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
(Former Type) (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
The site was formerly occupied by multiple tramway lines, and associated buildings, constructed in 1795 to 1796. At the incline approach sidings, loaded wagons were assembled into short 'gangs' to be lowered down the plane under gravity, attached to the cable wound round the elevated braking drum, and thence to a lighter 'gang' of empty wagons waiting at Townend, at the foot of the plane. The footings of the elevated braking drum house are thought to be buried under gardens and lawns of private dwellings. (1)
Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature No. 36d.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 06800 80359 (19m by 18m)
CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 1 2018 4:53PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.