Monument record MDR1104 - Stand Low barrow, Newton Grange
Type and Period (3)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Saxon - 410 AD to 1065 AD)
Stand Lowe barrow is located on an elevation opposite to Moot Lowe [SMR 10604] on the other side of the Dovedale road and was opened by Thomas Bateman on the 19th June 1845. Upon excavation of the centre of the barrow, a Saxon iron knife, a bronze circular decorated box, another small knife which appeared to be protected by an iron sheath, two bronze rings, used as buckles or fibulae, other articles of iron which bear marks of having been folded in linen, a small piece of ribbed vessel of thin yellow glass, 11 glass beads of various shapes and sizes of which three being variegated, a bead of twisted silver wire, a silver needle, and amongst the beads, 26 human teeth, which were the only remains of the skeleton. From the position of these teeth, it was inferred that the artefacts had been positioned on the left hand side of the body and the beads about the neck. During digging towards the centre of the barrow, Bateman found six flint instruments, mostly calcined, one of which had been used as a saw, a broken whetstone and numerous flint chippings. (1,3,5,8,9). Bateman's excavation uncovered an Anglian interment which was probably primary, suggesting the barrow is 7th century or later. However, small prehistoric tools had been scraped into the mound. (4,9). Jewitt and Lucas re-excavated the barrow in 1867 and found a 'bronze dagger with one rivet remaining, and bone end of handle'. The dagger is 14.9cm long with a thickness of 0.1cm and is extensively corroded, whilst the pommel is ivory, most probably sperm whale tooth. Lucas also found a bronze axe, possibly on the 10th September 1869, which is 14.3cm long and has been attributed to the Calais Wold group in stage 2. This group of artefacts 'seem to find its closest fit in a developed Beaker horizon within the Migdale-Marnoch (or non-ceramic) tradition. (7). A large, but much spread barrow was located in pasture at SK 15915358. The setting answers the geographical description of Authority 1, and a slight central depression in the mound indicates excavation. The barrow was surveyed at 1:2500. (6,9). A ploughed down mound with poorly defined edges and a height of 0.5 to 0.7 metres. There are traces of two disturbances in the centre. Originally the mound was probably c.12 to 14 metres in diameter, as indicated by the profile. Bateman excavated the barrow on the 19th June 1845 and dug a trench towards the centre. Within this trench were a broken whetstone, numerous flint flakes and six 'rude instruments', which were mostly burnt and one of which was a saw. At the centre of the barrow, an iron knife, a bronze circular box with a serpent's head handle, another iron knife in a possible iron sheath, two bronze penannular fibula, other articles of iron with linen impressions and a sherd of thin yellow glass. Nearby, 11 glass beads, a silver wire bead (all from a necklace?), a silver pin and 26 human teeth were discovered. The lithics from the trench towards the centre of the barrow may be residual. (10). Stand Lowe became a scheduled monument on 10th October 2001. The monument comprises a large, turf-covered, earthen mound standing at the highest point of a raised shelf to the west of Newton Grange. The mound measures 20m by 17m and stands 0.6m high. There are two minor disturbances on top of the mound that are indicative of Thomas Bateman's excavation of 1845. At the centre of the barrow a single inhumation of Anglian (7th century date) was found. Interred with the body were two iron knives, a circular bronze box and silver needle, two bronze buckles and a necklace consisting of ten glass beads and a silver wire bead. The grave goods recovered by Bateman are typical of an individual of high social standing. The hlaew represents a ceremonial site and indicates the importance of the surrounding area during the early medieval period. (11).
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. pp 74-76, illust..
- <2> SDR15289 Article in serial: Jewitt, H & Lucas, J. 1863-1868. The Reliquay, Volumes 3, 5 and 8.
- <3> SDR6839 Article in serial: Fowler, M. 1954. 'The Anglian Settlement of the Derbyshire-Staffordshire Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 74, pp 134-151. p 148.
- <4> SDR12503 Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7. p 31, 33.
- <5> SDR6903 Bibliographic reference: Meaney, A. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites.
- <6> SDR6308 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 11-NOV-66.
- <7> SDR13253 Article in serial: Kinnes, I. 1976. 'The Standlow Dagger', Proceedings of the Prehistoric Society. Vol. 42, pp 319-323. pp 319-323.
- <8> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p 78.
- <9> SDR9847 Index: NDAT. 1582. 1582. 1582.
- <10> SDR18871 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2001. Scheduling description: Stand Low hlaew. SAM 31301. Cat. No. 522.
- <11> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 9:12.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1591 5358 (18m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||NEWTON GRANGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 12 2015 4:51PM