Site record MDR11175 - Churchyard, St Helen's Church, Pinxton
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCHYARD (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1200 AD? to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1200 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Graveyard around St Helen's Church, Pinxton. The fabric of the church indicates that the present church dates from at least as early as the 13th century (see SMR 11901). Comparison of 1st and 2nd edition OS maps indicate that the grave yard was extended to the north before the end of the 19th century. (1, 2) Excavation of a foundation pit for a flagstaff and memorial plaque in the churchyard in May 2005 revealed no archaeological features and no artefacts or bone. (3) In July 2005 a narrow gas pipe trench was excavated in the churchyard outside the west and north walls of the church. However, it penetrated only construction debris of 1939. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR19876 Unpublished document: Sumpter, T. 2005. St Helen's Church, Pinxton, Derbyshire: Archaeological Watching Brief.
- <4> SDR19839 Unpublished document: Sumpter, T. 2006. St Helen's Church, Pinxton, Derbyshire: Archaeological Watching Brief.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 45347 55019 (81m by 133m)|
|Civil Parish||PINXTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2020 11:11AM