Monument record MDR11178 - Alma Pottery (site of), Brampton, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to First World War - 1850 AD? to 1914 AD?)
Loading documents & images
The Alma Pottery was in Rodney Yard, between Bank Street and Alma Street, and was started in the 1850s by Samuel Lowe, James Knowle and a Mr Blake, who had other pottery interests. Blake and Knowles [sic] left by 1863. Lowe continued and had taken his two sons into partnership by 1900, when they took over the adjacent Brunswick Pottery [see SMR 31522]. All the usual stone and brown wares were made. An advertisement in 1901 included fancy embossed wares, water filters, jars, mugs, jugs, teapots, coffee pots and all types of open and lidded goods. No mark is known. The pottery closed down in the 1914-1918 war. Robinsons, a surgical dressings firm, occupied the site in 1994. (1)
Article in serial: Brown, R. 1994. 'Potteries of Derbyshire', Journal of the Northern Ceramic Society. Vol. 11, pp 95-153. Site 3, p 99.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 37386 70948 (83m by 69m)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2017 12:03PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.