Monument record MDR11180 - Beehive Pottery (site of), Brampton, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to First World War - 1840 AD? to 1914 AD?)
Loading documents & images
The Beehive Pottery was operated in 1840 by Welsh and Silcock. William Welsh of the firm of Welsh and Silcock, potters of Brampton Moor, died in January 1844, aged 51. The pottery continued and was advertised for sale in 1879 as follows: "Sale of Valuable Earthenware Manufactory known as the Beehive Pottery, to be sold at the Red Lion Inn, in occupation of Samuel Lowe on 6th May 1879. Plans and particulars from auctioneers G Margereson, or William Briddon, Walton Pottery". Samuel Lowe could well have been from the Alma Pottery (see SMR 31517). John Gosling was the potter in 1883-1884. The pottery was still in operation in 1900 but had ceased by 1914. No marked specimens of the wares are known, but presumably all the usual brown wares were produced. (1)
Article in serial: Brown, R. 1994. 'Potteries of Derbyshire', Journal of the Northern Ceramic Society. Vol. 11, pp 95-153. Site 6, p 101.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 36751 70971 (35m by 67m)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2017 12:03PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.