South Normanton Colliery is not shown on the 1840 Tithe Map but appears as a working mine on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of 1880, roughly where 'Beristone's Meane' was shown on a map of 1699. The mine comprised a shaft and a number of pithead buildings. Also known as 'Winterbank' or 'Wincobank', the mine closed in March 1889, following the bankruptcy of the lessees, T H and G Small in 1885. The engine house, cottages and stable, capped shafts and tips still stood in 1983. It was a very small mine and was replaced by a new, larger colliery in 1893 [SMR 12811]. (1)
Unpublished document: Challis, K & Brown, J (TPAU). 2002. Archaeological Desktop Assessment - Amber Park, South Normanton, Derbyshire. pp 14-15.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 45987 57607 (387m by 311m)
SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2020 11:47AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.