Nos. 1-14 West Terrace and 15-23 East Terrace, off Hopping Hill, Belper, built c1800-1818.
'The back-to-back Hopping Hill Terrace was built by the Strutts between 1818 and 1820. The terrace is built into a steep hill side. The east side (nine double-fronted houses) is of two storeys. On the west side (14 houses) the houses are of three storeys. They are built of coursed stone with slate roofs and brick chimneys. In an ingenious interlocking plan the cellars of every other house on each side are dug into the hill side. Some iron casements and sash windows survive. The approach to this terrace can be made by a substantial stone staircase flanked by enormous coursed stone walls and iron posts. Each house also had a garden plot divided again by substantial stone walls and steps. Some small stone-built sheds survive in the gardens, probably originally earth closet lavatories. At the north end of the terrace a wide stone paved embanked chute from the road enabled carts to tip their loads into the yard.' (1)
'East and West Terrace is a terrace of back to back cottages built on the east side of the valley in Milford. Constructed at a date between 1813 and 1820, the Terrace is one of the most interesting of the remarkable collection of 'Industrial Revolution' mill-workers' houses in the Derwent Valley. The Terrace's significance lies in the evident care taken in designing the cottages, their yards and gardens on a challengingly steep site. The cottage interiors are arranged with three different types of layout and include overlapping plans. While in the hands of the Strutt family until after World War II, the spaces, both external and internal, remained remarkably little altered; however there has been substantial rate of change over the past three or four decades as the cottages have changed hands.' (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'1. 5167 SK 3545 5/195
SHAW LANE (South-West Side) Milford Hopping Hill Terrace Nos 1 to 14 (consec) West Terrace and Nos 15 to 23 (consec) East Terrace
2. Built between 1800 and 1819 by Strutts for their workers. One block of back to back terraced housing on a steep hillslope at right angles to Shaw Lane. Coursed stone with slate roof and brick chimneys. Ingenious interlocking lan the cellars of every other house on each side dug into the hillside. Each pair of houses occupies an area of only 20 ft x 21 ft. East Terrace, 3 storeys, West Terrace 2 storeys. One window each, some iron casements and some sashes remain but much modern glazing, generally in same spaces. Buttress at north-west end adjoins No 14. Houses approached by stone walled footpath along each side from Shaw Lane and by steps from Derby Road. Stone garden walls. Terraced gardens to West Terrace have stone retaining walls.
Listing NGR: SK3510445453.'
Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. 72, illust..
Unpublished document: Rodney Melville & Partners. 2007. East and West Terrace, Hopping Hill, Milford. Conservation Plan..
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1335295?section=official-list-entry.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.