Newbold Pottery was situated off St John's Road, between Newbold and Whittington Moor, and was first mentioned in 1827-29, with John Brown as a brown ware manufacturer. In 1846 David Sharratt was the potter and by 1855 it was William Sharratt, who continued for many years. By the 1880s Sharratts had gone, and in 1900 Clarke and Mottershaw were partners at Newbold, continuing until its closure in 1922. The pottery mostly manufactured brown wares, including stone bottles, as well as pancheons, breadpans and blackware. No mark is known. (1)
Article in serial: Brown, R. 1994. 'Potteries of Derbyshire', Journal of the Northern Ceramic Society. Vol. 11, pp 95-153. p 110.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 37562 73737 (71m by 80m)
CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2014 4:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.