Monument record MDR11263 - Graveyard, St Matthew's Church, Darley Abbey
Type and Period (2)
- CEMETERY (Georgian - 1819 AD? to 1819 AD?)
- SARCOPHAGUS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- World Heritage Site
St Matthew's Church (built in 1819 - see SMR 18904) and a small graveyard immediately around the church are shown on Sanderson's map of 1835. (1) The graveyard expanded southwards over the course of the 19th and 20th centuries. (2-4) There is a stone sarcophagus in the churchyard which is said to have once been situated between Nos 5 and 6 Hill Square, an area which may originally have been part of the monastic graveyard. Years later, the sarcophagus was moved to the area by the river known as Nutwood. It was later brought to St Matthew's churchyard, where it has been in various different sites over recent years. (5)
- <1> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR20981 Bibliographic reference: Perry, E. 2002. Up Darley Down Darley, The 20th Century History of Darley Abbey Village. p 32.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 35083 38696 (86m by 157m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM