St Matthew. 1818-19 by Moses Wood of Nottingham for Walter Evans. Stone, unaisled, of Commissioners' type, with tall slender windows with Perpendicular tracery and angle pinnacles. The west tower is pinnacled too. Chancel 1885-91. (1)
Built 1819. Part of the village built by the Evans between 1782 and about 1825 for their workers. (2)
The Church of St Matthew was built in 1818-19 and extended in 1895-96. The architect was Moses Wood of Nottingham. It is a Gothic style church built from stone with a slate roof. It consists of an aisleless nave and pinnacled west tower. It was built at the expense of Walter Evans. The chancel, sanctuary, sacristy and vestry were added in 1895-96 at the expense of Walter Evans II. The churchyard has slate plaques commemorating the lives of Evans' employees and villagers.
The 18th and 19th century houses and schoolrooms in Darley Abbey built by various generations of the Evans family for their workers are of interest as a group to be compared with the Arkwright settlement at Cromford and the Strutt settlements at Belper and Milford. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 193.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M. 1996. The Illustrated History of Derby Suburbs. p 54.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1215814.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 350 387 (31m by 21m) (Centre)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.