(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
Hanging Bridge Mill, Mayfield Road. Former cotton-spinning mill established by Richard Arkwright in 1781, later worked by the Cooper family who were related by marriage to the Strutts of Belper. The original factory was pulled down and completely rebuilt in 1866, this structure being a three-storey brick mill with slate roof and bell tower on a corner. Later 20th century additions have been made on the west side to the river bank. The former manager's house is now used as offices. Now (1997) owned by Bowmer Bond Narrow Fabrics Ltd., having been acquired by the Bond family of Alrewas as long ago as 1864. (1)
Derbyshire Dales District Council listed building records note that the manager's house has been demolished with consent. Aerial photographs of c. 2000 appear to show a modern industrial unit on the site of the house. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales. p 16.
Personal Observation: Stroud, G. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 15853 45621 (123m by 532m)
CLIFTON AND COMPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2018 1:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.