Building record MDR11370 - Trent Corn Mill No. 1, The Wharf, Shardlow
Type and Period (3)
- CANAL WAREHOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1816 AD to 1860 AD?)
- CORN MILL (Victorian - 1860 AD? to 1900 AD)
- STEAM PLANT (Victorian - 1860 AD? to 1900 AD)
No. 1 Trent Corn Mill is a three-storey brick-built canal warehouse dated 1816. As originally built, the warehouse had entrances at the centre of each elevation, with central taking-in doors to the first and second floors. The south and east tiers of doors (and possibly the north) gave onto arms of the canal. The landward entrance, associated with the original stair, was from the west. A four-bay parallel range of two storeys plus an attic was added against the west end of the north elevation shortly after the warehouse was built. Probably in the third quarter of the 19th century the warehouse was converted for use as a steam-powered corn mill. An engine/boiler house and chimney were built against the north elevation, partially blocking the north entrance and rendering the taking-in doors over it unusable. Virtually no machinery survives from this phase. Two large ground-floor sash windows, inserted in the west elevation to light an office or offices, are probably contemporary with this change of use. Following a fire in the mid-20th century the original warehouse was re-roofed with Welsh slate, retaining the original trusses. (1)
- <1> SDR20292 Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1993. Historic Building Report, Trent Corn Mill No. 1, The Wharf, Shardlow and Great Wilne, Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 44261 30374 (28m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||SHARDLOW AND GREAT WILNE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 7 2016 4:22PM