Monument record MDR11381 - Devonshire Almshouses (site of), Full St, Derby
Type and Period (1)
(Elizabethan to Georgian - 1599 AD to 1774 AD)
Loading documents & images
Site of the Devonshire Almshouses, founded by Bess of Hardwick, Countess of Shrewsbury, in 1599. The almshouses were to be built of stone, 92 feet in length and 22 feet in breadth, divided into 12 lodgings. The original stone building was rebuilt in c.1774 by the Duke of Devonshire, and the new structure was based around a courtyard with an elaborate Palladian façade on Full Street. It was sold to the Corporation in 1896, and demolished c.1914 for the construction of an extension to the power station. (1)
Unpublished document: May, R (ARCUS). 2007. Archaeological desk-based assessment of Land at Cathedral Green, Full Street, Derby. 9-10, 20.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35282 36508 (33m by 35m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 10:33PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.