Brick chapel built in 1802 as a (General) Baptist chapel, extended 1814-15 and 1818-19. Sold to the Wesleyan Methodists c.1856, becoming United Methodist c.1903. Restored 2004. The wrought iron railing and gate are probably of 1802. (1)
The Wesley Chapel was built circa 1830 from coursed freestone. The front has a central gable rising above a coped parapet. There are 3 rush windows (with altered glazing bars) and lintels with shaped soffits, a semi-circular headed doorway with radial fanlight and 6-flush panelled divided door, there is a tablet at the 1st storey incised "Wesley Chapel". The Minister's house, attached at the rear, is in Lodge Lane. It is of similar date and built from red brick, 2 storeys high with 2 sash windows with plain lintels, a wood pilaster doorcase with rectangular fanlight and a hipped slate roof. (2)
Article in serial: Craven, M. 2005/2006. 'Brook Street Chapel', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 83, pp 32-34, photograph.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1215812.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34777 36681 (20m by 35m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:25AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.