Hartington Street was laid out in 1875-76 on the initiative of locally born railway construction magnate Alderman Sir Abraham Woodiwiss, later twice Mayor of Derby. He commissioned four grand terraces of luxurious houses, two on each side, each of 11 dwellings, all designed by George Henry Sheffield of Derby (1843-1882). He had his armorial crest fixed to the pediments of each terrace, and erected grand gates at either end, the ironwork being commissioned from local Arts-and-Crafts maker William Haslam. At the east end of the street are also two pairs of semi-detached houses designed by John Somes Story, added in 1888. The gates and stone piers were removed in 1942-43. (1)
Article in serial: Craven, M. 2005/2006. 'Hartington Street', Derby Civic Society Newsletter. No. 83, pp 24-25, photograph. p 24.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 35416 35374 (276m by 196m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 10 2018 3:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.