The County Gaol is shown on the 1852 Board of Health map. (1)
The Old Gaol was built by the Architect Francis Goodwin c. 1830. It is now the entrance to a Greyhound track, although the façade remains largely unaltered. It is a single storey building in ashlar, with corner towers and side wings divided by shallow pilasters into 4 bays. There is a massive central doorway between solid piers with pilastered sides, projecting, each with 1 narrow window. The entrance is in the centre between 2 massive Tuscan columns. There is a triplyph frieze and a modillion cornice to the centre with a plain frieze at the sides, a small parapet and central rectangular stepped pediment. (2)
Map: Board of Ordnance. 1852. Map of the Borough of Derby … Surveyed … for the local Board of Health A.D.1852.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1229480.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34258 36308 (205m by 210m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 7 2017 4:28PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.