Building record MDR11572 - Former Miners' Standard Public House, Bolehill, Wirksworth
Type and Period (3)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Georgian - 1750 AD to 1800 AD)
- DAIRY (Georgian - 1750 AD to 1800 AD)
The Miners Standard is a mid to late 18th century dwelling and dairy that was converted to use as a pub in the early 19th century. It has late 19th century extensions and 20th century alterations. The building is constructed of coursed limestone blocks with a roof of Staffordshire Blue tile on one wing and slate on the other. Parts of the wet cellar and some of the later extensions to the building are of red brick. It is L-shaped in plan of two storeys with the main wing aligned north-west to south-east with the front elevation facing south-west. The early to mid 18th century build is aligned south-west to north-east, and is of two storeys with a single entry at the eastern end. At right angles to the early building is a late 18th century double fronted house. A 19th century extension was added to the south-east end of the range but is an independent house with a single doorway. To the rear of the building a two storey addition was made to the later 18th century building around this time and a two storey brick addition to the 19th century property soon after. The interior includes a late 18th or early 19th century barrel vaulted wet cellar cut into the natural bedrock. The rear wall and ceiling are of brick, the remainder of the walls are of stone. A natural stream flows through a brick built channel in the floor and a salting trough and salting stones are evident around the perimeter. A series of iron hooks and bars are attached to the ceiling and may have been used for hanging meats as part of the bacon production process. A ventilation shaft extends vertically from the cellar to the ground surface behind the main building. The development of the small dwelling and dairy into a larger house and later a pub reflects traditional building techniques and the development of regional farming systems. The need to unify and integrate farming and domestic functions became much greater after the 1750s, particularly in areas such as Derbyshire where pastoral farming was more important than arable. Converted to a pub in early C19 and was the last of three pubs in the village serving the needs of local quarry men and lead miners. The name Miners Standard refers to the dish used by the miners for measuring lead ore. [See List for full description] (1) In 2010 the building underwent repair and refurbishment to form two dwellings. As a result of this process, the listed building description was amended to correct perceived inaccuracies in the references to building materials and the sequence of development of the building.
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. EH UID 496408.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 29251 55087 (21m by 20m)|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM